We’re looking for a solid Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js) who has been around the block to help us build out our API driven (micro)services architecture. We’re working with the realtime web (websockets) so we have some interesting challenges that you won’t see at a pure RESTful HTTP shop.
At Help.com, we want to help eliminate terrible customer service experiences and make good experiences great. Waiting around for agents to locate your account information, lookup a company policy, or see your previous interaction history will become a thing of the past.
We’re just getting started so you have the chance to come in and help us build new products on a small, agile team. Your contributions will be felt immediately and you’ll be able to help us shape our products and development path.
Required Duties & Skills for a Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
- You are excited about working at a startup and on a small, talented team
- You are active in the open source community or have a desire to start contributing; our software engineers are constantly learning, using, and contributing to open source projects
- You care deeply about code quality, performance, and execution, but aren’t a dogmatic perfectionist
- You don’t mind helping out on other areas of the stack if necessary
- You are comfortable in an environment where projects are time-sensitive
- Adapting to changes in products, projects, and direction won’t throw you for a loop
Qualifications for a Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
- 3+ years experience in development using modern stacks/frameworks/technologies
- Experience with object-oriented and MVC design patterns
- API design experience
- Strong understanding of systems using real time interactions (websockets, long-polling, server sent events)
- Familiarity with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) or Distributed Systems
- Experience with “Big Data” data stores and technologies (ElasticSearch, Cassandra)
- Proficiency with a Linux environment
- Experience with Relational Database Schema Design (preferably PostgreSQL or MySQL)
Nice-to-have skills for a Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
- Experience with Docker
- Development experience on a SaaS product
- Experience with CI/CD systems
All of our positions are based in our office in Austin, TX. We offer competitive compensation, an unlimited vacation policy, as well as fully paid medical benefits (health, dental, vision) for eligible employees. Best of all, we have the energy, agility, and fun of a startup.
or tell a friend via