Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
We’re looking for a solid Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js) who has been around the block to help us build out our API driven (micro)services architecture. We’re working with the realtime web (websockets) so we have some interesting challenges that you won’t see at a pure RESTful HTTP shop.
At Help.com, we want to help eliminate terrible customer service experiences and make good experiences great. Waiting around for agents to locate your account information, lookup a company policy, or see your previous interaction history will become a thing of the past.
We’re just getting started so you have the chance to come in and help us build new products on a small, agile team. Your contributions will be felt immediately and you’ll be able to help us shape our products and development path.
The Ideal Candidate
- Has a proven track record of reliable performance and dependability
- Has an insatiable curiosity and isn’t afraid to dive deep into their work
- Likes to experiment with new ideas and is not afraid to fail
- Dislikes the “not my job” mentality and is willing to be agile
- Is transparent about their processes, goals, and obstacles
- Knows how to communicate directly and effectively
- Values empathy and works well with others
- Can learn quickly on the job and isn’t afraid to ask questions
- Is reasonably security-minded with balanced expectations
Required Duties & Skills for a Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
- You are excited about working at a startup and on a small, talented team
- You are active in the open source community or have a desire to start contributing; our software engineers are constantly learning, using, and contributing to open source projects
- You care deeply about code quality, performance, and execution, but aren’t a dogmatic perfectionist
- You don’t mind helping out on other areas of the stack if necessary
- You are comfortable in an environment where projects are time-sensitive
- Adapting to changes in products, projects, and direction won’t throw you for a loop
Qualifications for a Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
- 3+ years experience in development using modern stacks/frameworks/technologies
- API design experience
- Strong understanding of systems using real time interactions (websockets, long-polling, server sent events)
- Familiarity with Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) or Distributed Systems
- Proficiency with a Linux environment
- Experience with Relational Database Schema Design (preferably PostgreSQL or MySQL)
Nice-to-have skills for a Software Engineer (Backend – Node.js)
- Experience with Docker
- Development experience on a SaaS product
- Experience with “Big Data” data stores and technologies (ElasticSearch, Cassandra)
- Experience with GraphQL
- Experience with CI/CD systems
We offer competitive compensation, an unlimited vacation policy, as well as fully paid medical benefits (health, dental, vision) for eligible employees. Best of all, we have the energy, agility, and fun of a startup.
Help.com is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are unable to sponsor visas at this time, so all candidates must be legally authorized to work in the US.